Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Life in 140 Characters or Less

Have bailed out of regular blogging to Facebook, enjoying the novelty of it, and truly savoring the memories generated by finding folks from the past. Loving to hear the stories of where their lives have taken them, once the connection has been made. 

It's entertaining, indeed, but does not replace the spiritual exercise of diary-writing as I have been using my blog. In general, I do not believe that sharing in 140 character blurbs is a good habit to build. It feels like rock skimming. 

Just as it is easy to let junk food suffice for real nourishment (in the short run), so it is easy to let shallow contact suffice for intimate human connection. Sure, it can be said that Facebook is not meant to be anything deep. OK, but McDonald's isn't meant to be particularly nourishing, either. Yet, we accommodate to the low level of nourishment, acquiescing to its ease of use, and are not conscious of its connection to our lessened well-being. 

Well, I'll let the Facebook fun go on, wary of it nonetheless.

No comments: