Saturday, October 11, 2008

How to Cook Your Life

Have just returned from the zendo after seeing How to Cook Your Life (click to preview). Though not as profound as Into Great Silence, it was still very very wonderful and very inspiring.

It is a cinematic beauty, with many wonderful zen teachings woven among humor, tears, and some fabulous shots of food and nature. This movie was as satisfying as a banquet of wholesome and varied food. I will buy it, and share it. It is now on my list of "must see" inspirational movies.

I had many favorite parts, but the one that most inspired me was the commentary about the necessity for our well being of working with our hands. We have lost this element of life in our cultural milieu, to our great loss. It inspires me, along with many other messages of late (including The Omnivore's Dilemma, and writings by Barbara Kingsolver) to be more intentional in the selection and preparation of food.

This goes along with our decision to be more intentional about our entertainment (vs turning on the drug and channel surfing). Viewing this movie at the zendo is the second time in a week I have gone to a social setting to experience what might have been seen in my bedroom on the tube. Again I am glad for our decision.

No comments: