Moving through the water while swimming this morning became a physical prayer.
Early in learning zazen, I was ready to be cynical about the "theater" of the zendo and its rituals. Of course it is theater! Roshi said. I became aware of how the body, in balanced repose inside a visually sparse room, speaks to the mind.
In my Christian practice, prayer through dance (movement) is a preferred way. So there I am this morning, slowly gliding through the water. My arms reach out together and pull the water toward me. At the same time, I am looking, really looking, at the blue tiles moving by below me. I am moving through time, pulling grace toward me. Grace flows over me. Grace buoys me up. A beautiful wordless prayer.
This, of course, is not really zen, but on the other hand, it was a meditation. Water practice.
No comments:
Post a Comment