Tuesday, November 6, 2007

What is the google Zen?

When I google "Zen," I get a lot of links to some kind of commercial internet or software sites. What is this? What is the connection between the idea of Zen and the software?

I do get the connection in popular culture to Zen as referencing Asian style in decorating, another popular result, even though Zen is not a furniture style.

The internet puts out so much information overload that maybe it is painful to have physical clutter to manage on top of that, so lean and spare (and maybe not technological) seems attractive (as discussed earlier in this blog). "Zen" references both Asian style, and lean and spare. But what does it cue that relates to software or the internet? I plead ignorance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. When I google 'zen' There is only one commercial product on the front page. That is an MP3 player from Creative. Creative named the product 'Zen'. All the rest of the links are informational about zen or reuse some simplicity concept from zen.

Google rocks in my view. Because I let Google capture all I do, Google can refine my search results.*

*I can turn that refinement off too and see what the great unwashed, or is that unwatched, masses see.