Wednesday, November 28, 2007

T-Shirt Fun


Had a very fun time today at the t-shirt silk screen store (OK, maybe my experience was a little enhanced by the pervasive smell of ink solvent, since they were cleaning the screens). I was there designing and ordering the t-shirts for our upcoming first-ever off-shore all-family playdate and talent show in Hawaii.

Submersed in family reunion culture for a few hours, I learned about all the stuff one can buy to celebrate family reunions. Why was I so willing to enjoy that submersion (aside from the volatiles in the air)? Just because this is exactly the band-aid we (I) need for the cultural wound of family fragmentation and isolation.

This (the reunions), and blogs, and cell phones, and i-chats, and text messages. They aren't quite hugs when you need them, but they will do in a pinch, and a t-shirt to remember them by is not a bad thing.

No comments: