Saturday, December 1, 2007

Threads of this and that


A great Saturday. We had Tucson's version of a blizzard yesterday- that would be rain, rain, and more rain. One of the most painful arthritis days in recent memory while the barometer was falling. Roads closed everywhere due to running washes. Just the day for family business. My children all surprised me in one way or another. It is just a wonder to encounter them as emotionally competent adults, navigating and negotiating family decisions. Even if it was hard.

Today, sun up, barometer up, me up. Went to work in my friend's fiber art studio, where I worked on my son's quilt, made from his deceased father's T-shirts. So long after the traumatizing events of his death, peace has settled in, the fibers are softer, more relaxed, my hands more lovingly disposed. The quilt, surprisingly, looks much better than I remembered.

Then to my first "work" day at the Desert Renewal Center, where to my delight, I was checking folks in for the big 8-day Zen Buddhist Rohatsu. I was both envious and sympathetic. Eight days to practice samadhi is paid for by 8 days of sitting, a physical challenge for even the strongest sitters. Next week my job will be putting together and/or cleaning 60 or so Back-Jacks for the upcoming yoga retreat. I think I am going to like this job.

No comments: