Friday, December 28, 2007

Everything Sucks, then Everything is Wonderful Again

Have reached sundown of most days on this trip tried/tired to the max. Drained, aching, an unable to function. My traveling days are over. There is no doubt about it. Thank God I got so many wonderful miles on my traveling shoes before now, or I would be filled with regret.

Thus it was yesterday when we pulled into our "au naturelle" tropical lodging. No room in the fridge for all the food we gathered for 16 family members, a roaring road 20 yards from our screened-in bedroom, a woo-woo vibration machine rattling our bones as others stood on it above us drawing the last quantum of energy away from us. Upon our arrival, our hosts informed us that they had planned a concert for the evening of our family's arrival after 24 hours of air travel. My distress became irrepressible, so the concert was rescheduled. Only slightly relieved, I hunkered down in the bed against the cacophony.

The enormous racket died down around 9 pm, and peaceful jungle sounds took over, eventually giving way to a lovely quiet interrupted only by the occasional car. I imagined happy families on their way home for the day and practiced Marsha Linehan's mantra, "Everything in the universe is as it should be. Eventually, I Ambienated off to sleep.

This morning, all is well once again. Woke at 6:30 (and let there be no mistake- you WILL wake at 6:30) to horses neighing, cattle lowing, VERY busy birds, large trucks on their way to work, hopefully driven by drivers drinking their chocolatey Kona coffee in their favorite cups, and busy kitchen sounds. This morning, our residence looks quaint, rustic, and delightful. And tonight, the racket will be US!!! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

No comments: