Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Train Practice in the Studio

Tried my train practice (no looking for the end of the train, only at the car in front of my face) in my ludicrously overstuffed studio. In it, I often bog down immediately because I don't know where to start, or I start something and get distracted by something else.

So...I sat down with eyes wide open, and forbid myself to look at anything but what I saw in front of me. I knew that ten or more very enticing projects were literally in arms reach, but I practiced calm attention despite their presence.

It worked very very well. Five or six times I resisted getting up on impulse (my worst problem with meditating alone), though I had to talk to myself about it. (Are you there? Yes, I am here. Let's clean up that. No, you may not get up, you are practicing.)

I wonder if it would be possible thusly for an A.D.D. person to gain some control over the skittery mind. This was not meditation per se, but I was very relaxed when done, and quite pleased with the result.

No comments: