Monday, January 28, 2008

Bobcat!!!!

We were sitting having lunch, and out of the corner of my eye, I see a cat hop up on the brick wall. It moved like a cat, but then, WOW! It was very much larger than any cat I have ever seen, and immediately I recognize it is a BOBCAT!!

The most unexpected things happen around our desert home! Last year I peered over the fence expecting to see birds bathing in a puddle formed by the neighbor's irrigation leak. Instead I saw four perky coyote pups hopping and romping in the mud, obviously cooling themselves in the 100 degree heat. Very endearing to watch.

In the same moment my heart is both warmed and chilled, because these animals are cunning preditors, and sometimes in the night, we are awakened by the shrieking of a coyote pack celebrating a kill, or by the screaming of an animal caught by another. There are days when this is more truth than I really want to experience, but today, the surprise entrance of the bobcat was just a delight.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Were the coyote pups food for the bobcat??