Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Muse


Had a lovely dance with the muse in the studio today. The clay was very soft, lending itself to ever increasingly organic forms. This is my favorite kind of clay. It is on the verge of being unmanageable, and it provides me with some great surprises.

I got five hours of work in, and after about three, I was really in the zone. This is the thing I love most- to be in the three-dimensional zone, and to enjoy the rewards of thirty years of clay work. My hands can relax with even the most plastic of clay, and let it speak. I can let it be.

Only once did I glitch up and run the sequence of not adding more junk to the world. Paused, breathed, and returned to my mindful work. This work is not exploitive, it celebrates what I see and experience in nature, and it is a gift of my hands and mindful work to the recipient.

No comments: