A hibernation-capable mammal, I rev up slowly, but culminate in a huge burst of almost manic energy and activity as the first cooler days approach. This has happened to me consistently for years in the northern climes (here and northern Michigan) where the very very long summer days build up our serotonin levels to prepare us for harvest time. We arrive at autumn's edge with a voracious appetite for work and food.
Yesterday this manifested in some sort of strange samadhi in the pottery studio. I hurt from head to toe as the rains commence, but I am also in that harvest mode, and able to focus intensely on my work for long, physically demanding hours. The combination of the hibernation cycle, pervasive pain, and the physical enjoyment of the clay resulted in a complete saturation of my senses, and a most thoroughly altered state of mind.
Zen practice has been the last thing on my agenda, but last night I was looking longingly (yes, yes, attachment) at Roshi's sesshin schedule. The idea of sitting in the quiet zendo, looking at nothing but the wall and the candle flame for many days sounded just delicious.
No comments:
Post a Comment