Besides calling himself ("Are you there?" "Yes, I am here!"), Master Reon also calls out to himself, "Don't be fooled by anything!" and then replies, "OK, I won't be fooled." This is Master Reon's reminder to himself not to succumb to illusions, says Norm Fischer in his Zencast teisho.
Illusions are a troublesome entity for an artist wishing not to be fooled by anything. Illusions (or allusions) are mostly what we deal in. I struggle with this when I am carried away by some image or object that I might want to render in clay or fiber. But the deliciousness of some creativity is almost irresistible. I will be attending a world famous potter's (Lana Wilson) workshop this weekend. Lana makes some of the most evocative clay art around. I will have much to contemplate, and I am not entirely sure I will want to remind myself not to be fooled by anything. I may just go against Master Reon's admonition and allow myself to be seduced.
3 comments:
Hey Auntee...
I've tried to respond to all the emails you have sent to me but your excite email rejects my responses from both my home and office email. I just thought I'd let you know that I'm not ignoring you!!
There is utility for the artist in being fooled. The illusion can be a powerful source.
As one who places balance above much else (please don't rate that statement on my achievement of balance but see it as my target), I think the artist can move, perhaps must move, through the real and the illusion.
Acknowledging that balancing acts are not easy.
I am struck that one can be attached to correct interpretation of the now. I'll go be with my breath now.
To Philoserf: I believe you have clarified the fact that indeed an artist (or a poet) must move through the real and the illusion, in fact, must be fluent in both. AND it is totally true that there are rigid orthodoxies (which are always an attachment) regarding the experience of the now. It's one of the tendencies in Buddhism which keeps me irreverent.
To Jay: I tried to email you right off my gmail account and this time I bounced. Can you send me your current email address as a comment and I will try again.
Post a Comment