Sunday, March 2, 2008

Blogging a Spiritual Discipline?

Preparing to share my experiences with blogging as a spiritual discipline/practice, I surfed for some definitions. One amused me. It said (effectively): "A habit that encourages spirituality and replaces a bad habit." I laughed. Yes, I'll have to say that daily blog posting, which can take a half an hour or more by the time I contemplate, write, and rewrite, has replaced some sappier activities in my day.

I measure a "spiritual discipline" by the outcome in my life. If it is transformative in a manner that is evident to me, resulting in a more patient, mindful, and loving self, then I am willing to call it a spiritual discipline. Does it need to increase my knowledge of God and God's will? I am with Thomas Merton on that question. I have no idea what God's will is, and I am fully capable of fooling myself about it. All I know is to spend time seeking.

The other test: does it meet the criteria of an "organic" practice, as Peter Tran described. Is it as organic as eating, sleeping, reading the newspaper? Does it orient me toward God regularly and often, the way the five daily prostrations orient the muslim toward Mecca? Since my Apple has become organic to my life, it is the perfect vehicle for an organic spiritual practice.

No comments: