Monday, March 24, 2008

Rent-a-Grandma

Continuing to ponder my vision while in Dallas. What if I revisited my formerly very rewarding work of developing classes for kids? Talking to my artbuds today, I realize how worthwhile those classes were, and how much less self-centered than my current artistic outlets, fun though they are.

"The Life of a Frontier Girl" was probably the best course series I ever did. In it I passed on the sewing skills that my mother taught me, enabling me to make all of my clothing after about age 11. I wonder if I could retool this in a manner that would allow me to do less of the physical work. It would be like the grandmothers of previous generations. Their value was not in the labor of their backs but in their experiences.

As my practice turns to mindful work, this emerges as an idea to pursue. Better than useless house envy and wishing for things that cannot be.

No comments: