"It is not what we do that makes us holy; it is making holy what we do" Meister Eckhart
This is how it is going to have to go for me. I have not been to a sit or dokusan since Roshi told us in retreat several months ago that it could take twenty years of daily sitting for many hours to have one enlightened moment. I'm not so ignorant that I didn't know this already, and he had actually given a magnificent teisho earlier which addressed this, but the message was more obscure and I was swept away by the poetry of it.
I have done the math, (I am over 60) and have come to terms with my miserable bulging disced, bony-spurred back. Eternity is a long game, but I realize that in this lifetime, mindful working is probably going to be my best shot at resting my neurons, making more room in the dendritic RAM, and that one moment of enlightenment. So with mindful work as my practice, I am taking Meister Eckhart's statement to heart.
I am truly inspired by the blog zenhabits.net, written by the grandson of Joe Murphy (the late editor of the Pacific Daily New on Guam). In it are wonderful ideas about how to create new habits. The new habits I seek are those which make holy what I do.
1 comment:
and then, perhaps you could have a moment tomorrow, while dropping some rocks in the pond.
Post a Comment