Saturday, April 12, 2008

Mindless Work Mindfully Done

Glad to be back doing our mindful work at the Redemptorist Center. Always a good time to reflect and contemplate. Today, this:

What if I just decided to re-up with the Catholic Church. The big secret of the universe all boils down to submission. Call it salvation, obedience, non-attachment, enlightenment, whatever. So what if I just got tired of all the Protestant do-it-yourself theologizing, and figured that I don't have enough years left to sit zazen long enough for enlightenment, and what if I just decided to leave it up to the professional theologians?

I would continue with silent contemplation, and participate in the sacraments which have not only not lost their meaning, but have gained some with my advancing years.

It was a great fantasy until after xeroxing five reams of bright white paper, punching 3 holes in all of the sheets, collating them into 30 page orientations to the Redemptorist Center, I remembered that the Catholic Church only allows communion hosts made of wheat.

Tomorrow I will be taking my Corn Thins to the Episcopal Church for consecration, and will sit there sad because the great "chick" Vicar (her words) is gone, and we have no idea what is coming next. But I WILL sit there.

No comments: