
Have just signed up for a weeklong workshop by Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan, two of our country's foremost Bible scholars. Have read several books by each, and am moved out of quiescence to revisit the Bible from the perspective of transformational Christianity. To see the workshop description, click on post title.
I seem to be bound to repeat the Buddha's story- always hoping for inspiration and a way to end suffering in the world. I guess for me, it won't be sitting. Can't.
According to Borg, the whole Bible story (Torah to Revelation) is about liberation from suffering in all its forms- slavery, political oppression, economic stratification, personal bondage of any kind. He is a wonderful writer, and I am always inspired by his "big picture" thinking about the Bible and our faith lives.
A lecture from Union Theological Seminary encourages all Christians to intimately acquaint themselves with at least one other world religion in order to create an inner dialogue amplifying Christian perspectives, and also the ability to have meaningful dialogue with adherents to other faith traditions. OK! I'm already there!
No comments:
Post a Comment