Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I Can't Do It

Two goals today: 1. No ranting while arranging medical appointments. 2. Make decision re upcoming Zen Sesshin (=overcome fear of not being able to sit for four days due to bad back.)

My inspiration today: From NOVICE TO MASTER: AN ONGOING LESSON ON THE EXTENT OF MY OWN STUPIDITY by Soko Morinaga (see and read at theartofzenliving.com).

"When you feel you have a capacity of say, 10.0, anything up to 9.9 feels possible: the feeling, 'I can't do it' arises just at the point at which you 're given a 10.1 assignment. The person who is quick to judge a task as impossible will never perform beyond a 10.0. That person will never improve. For this reason, you must never think, 'I can't do it.' '

"No matter what demands a teacher [life] makes of you, you must somehow fulfill them. You must make unyielding efforts to work it out, as you climb- 10.1, 10.2, 10.3- you gradually develop. for the first time, you have power you never thought yourself capable of having."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Novice to Master has been a really fascinating read for me. I find I can only get through a few chapters before I have too much to process and have to wait and come back to it in a day or two. I'll write a full review when I'm done with it, but for now I'll just say "highly recommended" :)