As I look back at my blogging, I see that I have been using the rubric of Zen(ish) Buddhism to describe to myself many of my recent spiritual experiences, practices , and worldviews (illusions though they may be). This rubric reflects my recent reading material. It could also reflect my current choice of discussion mates, but it doesn't because in Zen we don't talk much.
After experiencing the presence of Fr. Laurence Freeman last night, I realize that to join Christian companions in mystical experiences will be a matter of learning a new language for the same set of experiences I have been having in Zen.
In Zen, to radically accept the impermanence of all things is to relieve oneself of the pain involved in clinging to anything, since change is inevitable. The sitting practice is just that- practice in non-clinging.
In the Benedictine Rule, "conversion" means having a constantly open heart to hear and respond to the Call, which changes with circumstances, personal and spiritual maturity, etc. It means to be converted endlessly from living in the ways of the world to living in the ways of God.
"Obedience" results in relinquishing clinging- for to obey is to override the wants of the ego self. So it will go, I see. What emerges is the truth in Fr. Laurence's statement, that this spiritual seeking is an archetypical experience. It is core to our humanity as evidenced by its eternal re-appearance in our various ideologies and practices. This is a message of great hope to me, as I had turned to worldly silence as the last resort for this part of me which will not be silenced within my spirit.
No comments:
Post a Comment