"Building a resilient biology," is Marsha Linehan's reference to self-care that prepares one to weather emotional storms. Marsha hosted the Mindfulness Retreat I attended last week, and is the author of many books on mindfulness-based cognitive therapy.
In Zen, we practice focused attention, a difficult skill which opens the door to understanding the true nature of our existence (and for some, spiritual insight). Emotional storms disrupt attention, alright. I knew this.
But I love Marsha's turn of phrase "a resilient biology," for it differentiates from a brittle or reactive biological state, which in my experience does not support consciousness and presence. What creates a resilient biology? Excellent nutrition, adequate sleep, exercise, fresh air, and refraining from harmful substances, of course. It's the zen of taking care of yourself. This brings renewed purpose to my efforts at healthy living. It invites me to practice like Dogen's tenzo (the monastery cook), by giving focused attention to meals and meal preparation.
No comments:
Post a Comment